Thursday, December 25, 2008

Virtual love

To begin with, I need to confess that I have always been cynical about love and people in love. Maybe it could be due to my own inadequacies as a person who is empty from within or is just not good enough to "feel the love" that so many millions of people experience on a daily basis. Probably I was wrong and utterly so, I just do not know. It is just one of those situations in life when the story of the fox and the sour grapes rings so true. I was secure in the belief that people waste their entire lives loving one when there are so many out there who you would have fallen in love with if not for that one person you met at a random party. So, when you look at it, it is all a matter of timing isn't it? You meet someone, are attracted to them (physically and intellectually) and decide to know them better and one thing leads to another and lo!

But wait, let's look at it from a different perspective now: what if you had met this same person when you were in love with someone else or possibly even married? I am sure you would repress your feeling because it would just seem not right. Right?

So it all comes down to your perspective, I mean you have this infinite potential of loving an unlimited number of people but you stick to that one person! I mean, this surely goes against all manner of logic because you are not staying true to yourself. I, for one, would not believe that there is someone, only one mind you, out there in a world that, at last count, was teeming with six billion people (okay, Wikipedia is more accurate at 6.7 billion) of varying sizes and varying beauty.

So, to cut a long-winded story short, there is nothing magical about love! You love because you're content with that phase of your life, it's all there is to it. Reverse your circumstances or even alter them slightly and you shall find that the llight of your life is not so bright after all from that angle. The girl that was staring at you while you were partying last Saturday or that girl you found so damn uber-attractive at the traffic signal could provide for better accompaniment.

So my friends, this is not so much as cynicism but an opinion grounded in reality. Remember this, when you are in love there's something better somewhere still awaiting your notice and attention.

No comments: